Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Left side tire wear

Default Left side tire wear

Today I noticed my left side tires were waring down more than the right side. Could the brakes not be activating on the right side. I have checked them by jacking up the axel and seeing if the controller stops the wheel from turning. They seem OK.

Is the wear even or inside/outside? The left side of the unit is usually heavier than the right. What air pressure are you running?

Gary and Penny
    2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
    2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Quote Originally Posted by Chief 2 View Post
    Is the wear even or inside/outside? The left side of the unit is usually heavier than the right. What air pressure are you running?
    It looks like there wearing a little more to the inside. Using 110 pounds of air.

I discovered the same on mine, but by the time I realized it I had the same problem on all four with two of them badly cupping and peeling away on the inside. This was after checking the tires very often while on the road and rotating them 4x since new. I think I got about 20K on my set and just relaced them about 300 miles ago. I don't understand what caused mine to wear, but I was running 110 in mine also. I have gone up to 120 psi. Start putting $$ away now. They run about $380.00 a piece. Good luck!

Gary and Penny
    2007 MS 38RL3 #3720,Level up system
    2005 Chevy 3500 4x4, 4" exhaust, Airrad intake, Edge Attitude tuner, Rancho shocks

Cheif,
    What tires/size do you have on the Suites?
    Joe
    2005 36TK3 #1869
    2009 F450 Lariat
    2007 F350 DRW--gone

BobW if you have not already seen it, you might want to see the recent thread on tire wear and discussion about trailer frame alignment.
    Bill & Ann Anderson
    Houston, TX
    2011 ES38RS3 w/Vanity Slide #5854
    2007 Freightliner M2-106 Chariot
    w/Trailer Saver

Next time your in a nice flat area, like a parking lot, stand back about 50 ft from the rear of the trailer and 'gun site' the tires from the rear. You will be able to see if you have one side with a lot more 'lean' or negative camber than the other. You will also spot if just one tire is leaning more than the other. The top of the tire will be inwards compared to the bottom of the tire. If you do, then a alignment shop is in your future. You could also do the same checking with a level going from the bottom of the tire to the top. It will show camber also. I've seen many MS units with tires wearing more on the kitchen side because of the added weight. It is repairable and could save a costly tire replacement.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Stacey & Gail
    E.W.I.G. (Ex-Weigh-It-Guy)
    '04 36 TK3 / SOITC #1341
    '99 Int'l LoPro MDT
    See Bill & Joan's New Adventure Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com

What is really odd is, the tires on the right side still show the molding seam in the center of the tire just as it looked when new. I think I have 30k on the RV tires. Left side has even wear, but, half the tread is gone. You would think that if I had an alignment problem, both sides would be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut60 View Post
    Cheif,
    What tires/size do you have on the Suites?
    Joe
    17.5 I called Dexter. They said it wasn't out of alignment that it was a weight issue. I'll weigh it as soon as I can.

Are you sure your axles are made by Dexter? My MS has 8,000 lb Lippert axles with 17.5 tires. The left side is the heavy side and may be the reason for the wear. Could take a long straight edge and check the length of both tires to see if they are close to being aligned.
    Ron & Libby Gordon
    07 Mobile Suites 38RL3 #3698
    07 F350 Dually Ford